Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cats don't sail to windward in heavy weather

And when we got back from our camping trip, there was this great email from Rick -

'Just raced to Cygnet regatta from Kettering in 25 to 40 knots all head wind.

'Started last - broke shackle on main sheet, broke rope replacing shackle. All head wind sailing apart for last mile which was a reach. Fifth over (finish) line from 70 or so starters!!!!! Got beaten by a Sydney 38 and some champion etchel racer. How's that for a cruising clunker? Best part was doing 9-10 knots hard on the wind and no wet weather gear. I LOVE MY BOAT. Then they gave me first prize on handicap.

'One amazing thing I did see was on the last short reach. It lasted about 5 minutes and I was humming along at 14.3 knots when a small tri called Rocket Alice went passed me like I was standing still! I think they got wet cause all I could see was spray.They pipped me from fourth place but we had a nice roast cooking.

'Why would anyone want a momo? One of the hot shot racers from town (who got in half an hour after me) asked me the same question. It really p*sses them off when we pass eight blokes on the weather gunnel and we are passing around the coffee plunger. One thing that I found amazing was when punching into a wave train our cat doesn't jolt to a halt. It just punches through sending a shit load of spray over the top. No pounding under bridge deck though the hull did shiver in the severe pounding. She's well balanced and never lifted a hull once. It is a cruising boat after all.

'You did a great job Murray.

'Cheers Rick

'P.S. Next time I will dump the 400 kgs water and beat the racers.'

Well, what can I do but blush?